Fishingowls World cc

------ Forwarded Message
From: Alan du Plessis <>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 22:15:48 +0200
To: Sue Babich <>
Subject: South Sea Safaris Fishing Report - 1 Feb 2011

Hey Everybody

In my last report of 14 January I mentioned that we would be heading
down to Struisbaai for Feb and maybe March. Well, we are at the
southernmost tip and things are looking a damn side better than they
were in the Cape Point area. News from Cape Point is that the snoek
are still eating their way through everything and things are very
quiet in the tuna areas. Apparently even the commercial tuna boats are
lying in their respective ports. I have been here for a week and even
though the persistent SE winds are still pushing through, and the rest
of the country is washing away, we have managed to get a couple of sea

Shore Angling
The biggest news I have is that of a 38kg Kob caught by our good
friend and sometimes client, Brian McFarlane. He was fishing in a
Boland shore angling league tournament on Saturday and decided, as did
many other anglers, that Die Mond was the place to go. During the
course of the afternoon, his fresh maasbanker (horse mackerel) got
picked up by a really good fish that turned out to be a monster kob.
The fish measured 1.68 meters long, and although they tried for over
an hour to resuscitate it, the fish died and was kept. Before you all
cry foul, I understand the 1600/Brian%2527s%2BCob.jpg

sensitivities of keeping/killing big fish, but I know Brian and can
guarantee that if he says they tried to revive it, then they really
did try. I addition to this, I saw the fish later and it was really
wasted away. It was extremely thin and covered with old "battle"
scars. I have no doubt the fish was very old and certainly past it's
prime. I mentioned to Brian that trying to revive a fish that old
would have been akin to reviving an eighty year old man (sorry to all
the old boys that read this) after running a marathon. It is still sad
that it died, but it is better to kill a fish that can probably no
longer breed than to kill some young 30kg fish that is still in its
prime. No doubt about it, it is a fish of a lifetime and very few
anglers have ever had the honour of catching such a specimen. To those
of you who don't know, Brian is also a grand veteran! Well done old

Those who head out after the galjoen, get your gear sorted, it is only
another month before the season opens. There are some fish about and I
tagged three on a short outing the other day. The fish were very poor
condition, but that is normal for this time of the year.

Last Wednesday was my first sea day and I was on the water at first
light. After catching my quota of squid I headed off to the engine
block of the Oriental Pioneer. This spot sometimes holds some really
big yellowtail and some of you will remember that two years ago, Ion
Williams, one of our regular charter clients, caught a yellowtail of
23kg at this spot. I had no sooner arrived than I noticed a school of
yellowtail on the surface, swimming directly at me. It was a bit
overcast and even with polarized lenses it was difficult to see them
clearly. I sent a spinner over them and had hardly started winding
when I was "vas" into a good sized 'tail. A few minutes later, the
yellowtail was alongside the boat. I already had the gaff in my hand
when the "yellowtail' turned out to be a leervis (garrick) of about
10kg. A quick jiggle of the spoon and the leerie was free to swim and
fight another day. I looked up, and the fish were still around so I
threw the spoon again and caught another one. This time it was an even
better size fish of about 12kg. I released this one as well and looked
around for some yellowtail but without success. By 10am I was well
happy at home. s1600/Alphards1.jpg

Sunday was another sea day. Off we went to the 45's on "Tyler" and to
the Alphard Banks on "Met Eish". The Alphards trip was spearing trip
and we bagged some really classy yellowtail up to 14kg. The water was
warm but very green and unless we get some westerly winds in the next
few days, I am not very hopeful for the marlin competition that starts
next week.

Tyler went for red steenbras and they managed to get five reasonable
fish (8 to 13kg).They also lost a really big one (usual story) but
could not tell how big as they never saw the fish.

They also got a 1600/45%2527s%2BSteenbras.jpg

few yellowtail, but none as large as the ones from the Alphards. Next week
is the much publicised Two Oceans Marlin Tournament and hopefully mr
Needlenose will put in an appearance. As mentioned in the section
above, we hope the blue water is not far off. The satelite pictures
show good water lying down towards the 45's. All we need now is a
gentle SW wind for a couple of days and I have no doubt the water will
move in closer. My next update will have all the answers. For now, we
hold thumbs that the weather gods are kind to us. Till next time,
tight lines, fair winds and keep safe.
Also remember, there is now a blogspot for South Sea safaris.
Go to
{} and become a follower. I will,
in time, be doing more pictures and updates there. Cheers Alan For
further details, please visit our website